16th Annual Performance Driving School
16th Annual Performance Driving School
Learn to be a safer, more confident driver
Performance Driving School - Saturday/Sunday October 15-16 2016
Open Track Day (Instructors and Registered Drivers Only) - Friday October 14, 2016
Open to all makes and models of cars!
- No experience necessary!
- Emphasis on safety!
- Expert classroom & on-track instruction!
- Learn the limits of your own car and become a safer driver!
- More smiles per mile!
Registration opens on January 18th
|Event Chairman:||Chief Instructor:||Chief Registration:|
|Tom Hennig||Jim Edwards||Kat Messenger|
The 16th edition of the Performance Driving School (PDS) Series hosted by the Carolina Regional Mustang Club provides you, the student, an opportunity to improve your driving skills in your own car with an experienced instructor on board on a real road course. IT IS NOT A RACING SCHOOL. "Racing" will NOT be tolerated. The skills you learn at this school can be applied to situations we all face almost daily on our streets and highways. By learning how to maintain control of your vehicle during unexpected situations, you may someday be able to avoid an accident or injury. SAFETY is our primary goal.
All Makes and Models are always welcome, including Mustangs!!!!! We are a Mustang Club, but we want to help improve the skill level of ALL the drivers we see on the roads each day.
There will be a limit of 75 students! Please register early to assure your spot. All applications must be completed on line at www.motorsportreg.com/events/crmc-16th-annual-performance-driving-school-carolina-motorsports-park-849853.
On the advice of our physician, we do not accept applications from participants who are or may be pregnant. Persons with a physical impairment, which may interfere with their participation, should contact Tom Hennig before registering.
INSTRUCTION: All students in Groups D (beginner), C (novice) and B (intermediate) will receive classroom and in-car instruction throughout the weekend. Your in-car instructor will provide 2-way communication equipment. Classroom attendance is mandatory for all students. Advanced drivers assigned to Group A are not assigned an instructor but may request one by contacting Jim Edwards. Special, challenging, driving exercises are conducted in Groups B, C, and D throughout the weekend.
RUN GROUPS: All students will be assigned by the Chief Instructor to one of four run groups (A thru D) according to their skill level and vehicle potential and will run the full 14-turn, 2.25-mile road course. Controlled passing will be allowed. “Young Drivers”, 16 and 17 years old with at least a Learners Permit may participate with parental consent. Consent forms will be available only at the track during the event, and a parent must be at the track with their Young Driver for the duration of the school. All Young Drivers will be assigned to the D Group regardless of prior experience. Young Drivers may be on the track only with their instructors. Young drivers 15 years old with a learners permit may be allowed to participate with the prior approval of the Chief Instructor. Parents please contact Jim Edwards for approval prior to registering your 15 year old for the driving school. All other students and instructors must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license.
LAPPING DAY: On Friday, October 14, we will join Turn One for additional track time for registered students and instructors at special rates. See additional information below.
REGISTRATION AND TECH INSPECTION: Friday, October 14, 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM - Registration and tech for Friday Lapping Day ONLY Friday, October 14, 1:00 PM to 8:00 PM - Registration and tech for all PDS students and instructors Saturday, October 15, 7:00 – 9:00 AM - Registration and tech for all PDS students and instructors Avoid the Saturday morning rush. You’ll be glad you came on Friday evening! Anyone wishing to leave vehicles or car trailers at the track may do so. Gates are open all night. Security will be provided beginning Thursday night.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- Short or long sleeve shirts, long pants and closed toe shoes are required while driving on track. Your entry fee includes one free long sleeve event shirt (after all this is October) which will surely become a valued collector item!
- Convertibles without supplemental roll over protection and harnesses will be permitted in Group D only regardless of the driver's driving experience.
- “Stock” convertibles in Groups A-C require at least a 4-point roll bar and 5-point harnesses for both the driver and the passenger.
- “Modified” convertibles (non-DOT tires, non-production blowers or turbos, strokers, radical suspensions, etc.) that significantly add to the vehicle’s speed potential require at least a full 6-point roll cage and at least 5-point harnesses for the driver and passenger regardless of run group.
- All convertibles are subject to inspection no later than two weeks prior to the event. Please contact Tom Hennig 704-305-3778 or Jim Edwards 704-654-5400 prior to registering if you plan to drive a convertible in any run group other than D..
- All cars are required to be tech inspected by a q ualified service person or facility PRIOR TO THE EVENT. It is your responsibility to ensure that your car is safe. If you are confident in your mechanical ability you may do the inspection yourself. IMPORTANT: The inspection is for your safety and the safety of others on track. Don't short cut this critical inspection. Download the pre-event tech form with checklist at www.ponytales.org . You must bring the completed form with you to the track. Vehicles with a current log book and annual tech sticker for 2016 from organizations such as NASA, SCCA, PCA, etc, are exempt from the pre-tech requirement & at-track inspection, but must present their log book and helmet at tech.
- Only one driver per car per run group is allowed. You may share your car with someone in different run group as assigned by the chief instructor, however, each driver must register and pay the entry fee. The schedule can be tight and the wear and tear on the vehicle increases significantly if a car is used in two groups. Please contact Jim Edwards, Chief Instructor, prior to registering if you plan to share a car.
- Helmet – Snell SA2000, M2000 or later date is required. Please bring your own helmet if possible . The Club has 8 for rent, 1st come, 1st served, that must be reserved prior to the event. A nominal fee will be charged. Reserve yours when you register on www.motorsportreg.com .
- All cars must provide equal restraint for driver and instructor. If you a have 5-point harness, provide one for your instructor - he/she will thank you!
- Camping will be available at CMP, and you will deal directly with the Track at the main gate to sign up and pay the fee. Contact the track at 803-475-2448 for the current fee.
- Garages are available for rent. Contact CMP by calling the track at 803-475-2448.
Registration Fees Performance Driving School October 15-16, 2016:
Regular Registration $325.00 Adults 18 or older
Early Bird Registration $299.00 Before midnight July 15, 2016 Adults 18 or older
MCA Members $299.00 Through September 30, 2016
Student & Military Special $215.00 16 & 17 plus all HS & college students with current ID Active duty military with ID card
Instructors: No charge for Saturday and Sunday.
Friday Lapping Day, October 14, 2016 :
Students Registered for Weekend School $150.00
Instructors Approved for Weekend School: $100.00.
You must be registered for the weekend school as either a student or instructor to sign up for the lapping day at this special rate in MotorsportReg. Others are welcome to register directly with Turn One on their website at http://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/turn1.html at their normal rates.
We will run rain or shine. There will be a $50 per driver cancellation fee on all refunds. Cancellation requests must be made in writing or by email to the Chief of Registration and received no later than midnight (2400 hours) on October 1, 2016 in order to receive refund of the paid entry fee minus the $50.00 cancellation fee. If canceled after the above date and time, no refund will be provided.
The EXECUTIVE I NN, 301 S. HAMPTON ST, KERSHAW, SC PHONE 803/475-7575 King and double rooms available. Located in the center of Kershaw only 5 miles from the track. Rooms are available at the rate of $55/night plus tax with a reduced rate for more than one night. Be sure to mention the Carolina Regional Mustang Club Driving School to get the reduced rate. Rooms sell out quickly.
Other hotel information:
- Super 8 – 1201 Hwy 9 By-Pass, Lancaster, SC 803-283-1200
- Quality Inn – 114 Commerce Blvd, Lancaster, SC 803-283-1188
- Knights Inn - 322 East DeKalb Street, Camden, SC 803-432-2453
- Holiday Inn Express - 521 at I-20, Camden, SC 803-424-5000
- Comfort Inn & Suites - 521 at I-20, Camden, SC 803-425-1010
- Colony Inn - 2020 W Dekalb St, Camden, SC 803-432-5508
- Econo Lodge - 529 Highway 601 S, Lugoff, SC 803-438-6990
- Days Inn - 542 Highway 601S, Lugoff, SC 803-438-1807
The Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP) track is located at 3662 Kershaw Hwy (SC 521) approximately 20 miles north of I-26, and about 40 miles south of Charlotte on SC 521. From the Executive Inn, follow SC 521 south to CMP which will be on your left approximately five miles south of Kershaw. From the Lancaster area, take Hwy 9 by-pass East and South around Lancaster to SC 521 south. Follow SC 521 south to Kershaw, SC. CMP will be on your left approximately five miles south of Kershaw. From the Camden/Lugoff area, take SC 521 north. The track will be on your right as you approach Kershaw.
Additional documentation and other reference information: